By Olav Stokke
International relief has more and more turn into topic to political conditionality. within the Eighties a few associations made reduction established upon the recipient international locations' financial coverage reforms. industry liberalisation was once the first device and goal. within the Nineteen Nineties such conditionality used to be introduced one step additional; reduction used to be now associated with political reforms, affecting recipient nations' governing platforms, requiring democracy, human rights and 'good governance'. This quantity seems at those advancements and considers the conditionality regulations of numerous eu reduction donors. Such guidelines also are thought of from recipient views, either from the 3rd global and Russia, and the problem is usually thought of from a ancient standpoint.
Read or Download Aid and Political Conditionality PDF
Similar development & growth books
This booklet offers an advent to the heritage, founding rules, associations, and actions of the ecu and an summary of the 25 member States. It contains a distinctive description of the ecu rules on examine, innovation and know-how by way of emphasizing universal pursuits of better competitiveness and sustained (and sustainable) progress.
The single accomplished textual content to be had for complicated research reference, this ebook brings a lot wanted readability to either the theoretical and functional features of european intervention. Integrating either theoretical and useful study in a transparent and available constitution, protecting monetary, social and territorial matters eu solidarity coverage offers a scientific view of a number of the levels of the entire coverage cycle, taking a look intimately at: the evolution of the issues the layout of the coverage process the implementation in perform the overview of results .
- The Performance Economy
- Economic and Social Development into the XXI Century (Inter-American Development Bank)
- Arguments for a Better World: Essays in Honor of Amartya Sen: Volume I: Ethics, Welfare, and Measurement
- A Deus Ex Machina Revisited: Atlantic Colonial Trade and European Economic Development
- Political Competition, Innovation And Growth In The History Of Asian Civilizations
- The Ideological Origins of Nazi Imperialism
Additional resources for Aid and Political Conditionality
However, ex p o st conditionality may presuppose that certain standards have been met in the re cipient govemment’s previous performance or even a tacit ex ante commitment to this end. Ex p o st conditionality implies an explicit understanding by both parties that continued aid (volume and form) at somtfu tu re point in time vvill be dependent on the re cipient govemment’s performance vis-ä-vis certain standards in the meantime, as assessed by the donor govemment (or the international agency) involved.
5) Financial conditions also apply; a basic distinction is between grants and credits, but also the terms of credits matter. Other condi tions in this category include the financing of local costs, the financing of maintenance and recurrent costs and procurement tying. Thus a donor quite frequently declares interest in supporting a project only if a particular type of technology (available in the donor country) is used in implementing it. (6) Administrative conditions also apply, involving procedures for the transfer of resources, accounting, reporting, evaluation, privileges enjoyed by technical co-operation personnel and project/programmerelated imports, etc.
For a discussion of the core concepts involved, with the stated objective to develop the concept of governance for use in comparative political analysis, see Hyden . ‘Governance’ refers to the management of regime rela tions, that is the rules that set the framework for the conduct of politics; defined in this way, it does not imply, as ‘govemment’ does, that real political authority is vested in the formal-legal institutions o f the state. 20. In 1991, the IMF included low-level military spending as an objective (since military spending may compete with spending for development purposes); later, multilateral and some bilateral donors adopted the same policy, among others Ger many [Waller, this volume], Norway [Stokke, this volume] and Switzerland [Förster, this volume].
Aid and Political Conditionality by Olav Stokke